PPPoE server (high traffic in WDM network)

muhammad usman usmanbsd at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 23:50:13 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've little off topic suggestion regarding network design.

The solution you are implementing will mean to make hundreds of users share the same broadcast domain. As all your FTTH and other DSLAMS would be working in bridge mode.
This scenerio is not safe as if anyone of your clients will start his own pppoe server you will be in strange trouble, there can be other issues too.

I guess your DSLAMs must have built in pppoe support and radius client, if its there then every port of dslams can be separate broadcast domain. This will cause you extra routing management (depending upon your scsnerio)

In case your DSLAMS have no pppoe feature then i would suggest you to at least put every DSLAM's uplink port in deparate VLAN and connect pppoe server using trunk port or multiple single ports.

And before implementing this solution consult your DSLAM vendor cause ive observed problems in ipdslams when used in bridge/transperant mode.

Regards
usman