installation sequence

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Fri Aug 21 16:49:17 UTC 2009

Neal Hogan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM, PJ<af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have an idea of what the oder of files and dependencies is
>> to install programs without all sorts of nonsensical errors?
>> I usually have no problem installing FreeBsd whatever with apache22,
>> cups, samba, php, mysql xorg etc. etc. I say usually because from time
>> to time there do crop up some conflicts and they can usually be resolved
>> by just looking at the error messages when the install is interrupted...
>> usually one reinstalls the guilty port and voila! all things are in an
>> ordered universe!
>> But how do you avoid those error messages... I installed a pretty
>> minimal 7.2 about a week ago and since then have been putzing about with
>> a more serious installation of 7.2 on a larger disk to include xorg and
>> a number of pretty cumbersome applications.
>> I usually start with samba as that permits me to wander about on my lan
>> and download and play around with other stuff while I am waiting for
>> those substantial installs like jdk and xorg et al.
>> So now, I have installed samba... works fine... thereafter I have been
>> installing jdk16 and some other proggies like openldap and php5 and
>> mysql ... actually, I was doing those because apache22 wouldn't
>> compile... it grinds out a slew of errors that all seem to be related to
>> ldap..."util_ldap.c:2135 (or other numbers) and all have the notation
>> "undeclared (first use in this function) and finally the ghost gives up
>> with Error code 1.
>>
>> Exactly the same installation with the same configuration on the smaller
>> installation went without a hitch... (and on the same computer,
>> different disk) The versions are the latest available and on 7.2...
>> I have tried uninstalling php5, openldap, and removing the work
>> directory for apache22, but the result is always the same... this is absurd.
>> Can anybody make any sense of this... I don't like the idea of starting
>> all over again... done that, been there, and still looking for some
>> rationality to this world.
>> Thanks for any ideas...
>>

> Again, not to be rude (to you or fBSD) . . . but why stick with
> something that is giving you soooooo much trouble?
> There are a bunch of open source distros out there. I can appreciate
> that you do not want to f'around with another distro for another week
> . . . but . . .
>
> >From other posts, it sounded like you have recovered the essential
> files. Rationality may dictate you moving on.
>
> The only thing I can suggest that may help those who know better, is
> to post the demsg's of the two machines (the one that works and the
> pain in the ass), given that they are different machines. What
> happened to the "faulty hardware" idea?
>
> I dunno . . . good luck!

First, the problem is not FreeBSD... it is the idiots who think they know how to deal with a lot of stuff and then post all sorts of stuff that just confuses the hell out of simpletons like me. I made the mistake of thinking some jerk had written a little script that would do an update of ports with csup... well, I did post looking for an explanation of why the damned thing didn't work... and the responses I got were rather cryptic and din't explain anything even though a good programmer would have understood it would not work...  :-)
I'm certainly not a programmer in the professional sense at all...
so in thinking about the problem I saw that the ports were not being correctly updated... once I got that right, everything worked fine. I even fixed that little script and updates are a cinch.

As for faulty hardware... haven't found any up to now... I hae just 1 drive left to check and I'll know for sure...  ;-)