7.2 dying with Kernel Trap 12

Zetinja Tresor zetinja at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 12:01:51 UTC 2009

My 7.2 FreeBSD server has started to crash with kernel trap 12. I googled
around and most of the topics I found were about faulty RAM or other harware
problems. This is VMware vitual machine so I see no way of hardware problems
as we even tried to move the machine around VMware nodes to see it's RAM. It
worked absolutely fine for about two months, but now sometimes the server
lives for up to 5 hours, sometimes it panics in 10 minutes.  Is there anyone
that can help me to resolve the problem?

Here are few errors on crash:

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

cpuid = 2; apic id = 02
fault virtual address    = 0x10
fault code                  = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer      = 0x20:0xc07d4a21
stack pointer             = 0x28:0xc72dec1c
frame pointer             = 0x28:0xc72dec30
code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                               = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags       = resume, IOPL = 0
current process        = 36 (sctp_iterator)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 2

-----------------------------

cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
fault virtual address    = 0x6e727598
fault code                  = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer      = 0x20:0xc08bf945
stack pointer             = 0x28:0xc72bfaa8
frame pointer             = 0x28:0xc72bfacc
code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                               = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags       = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process        = 30 (em1 taskq)
trap number             = 12

--------------------------------------

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address    = 0x10
fault code                  = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer      = 0x20:0xc07d4a21
stack pointer             = 0x28:0xc73e29c4
frame pointer             = 0x28:0xc73e29d8
code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                               = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags       = resume, IOPL = 0
current process        = 9020 (libssl.so)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 25m37s