Suspend/Resume on Thinkpad x40

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Fri Aug 21 02:58:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:03:29 -0500 Joe Snikeris <joe at snikeris.com> wrote:

 > First off, I apologize if this is not the right forum for this
 > question.  I was torn between posting this in mobile, ACPI, X11 and
 > here.  If I might get a better response in one of those forums, please
 > let me know and I'll post there instead.

I suspect -mobile might be the best list for this one, perhaps -acpi
but that's usually more about development than usage.  You might try
searching the archives of either for mention of the X40.

 > I'm having some trouble getting the kinks worked out of the
 > suspend/resume functionality on my laptop, an IBM Thinkpad X40.  It is
 > mostly working now, but I am still experiencing some strange behavior.
 >  I can suspend and resume from a console just fine (except for the
 > fact that the console comes up blank and only displays new
 > characters); however, suspending and resuming in X is problematic.
 >
 > The first suspend and resume in X works perfectly, but the next time I
 > hit suspend, the machine locks up while still displaying whatever I
 > was doing in X.  Note that if I switch to a virtual terminal before
 > hitting suspend, this problem does not occur.  Does anyone have any
 > suggestions on what I might do to get this resolved?  The details of
 > my machine follows; please let me know if any additional information
 > would be helpful.

My T23 requires hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1 to suspend/resume
cleanly (7.0), so does my old Compaq Armada (but that's APM, not ACPI)

 > > uname -a
 > FreeBSD sussman.snikeris.com 7.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p2 #0:
 > Wed Jun 24 00:57:44 UTC 2009
 > root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
 >
 > > cat /boot/loader.conf
 > # Disable boot menu
 > beastie_disable="YES"
 > autoboot_delay=-1
 >
 > # Needed for firefox to display certain HTML5 elements
 > sem_load="YES"
 >
 > # Needed so we can resume from suspend w/ a working display.
 > hw.acpi.reset_video=1
 > # Needed so mouse will work on resume
 > hint.psm.0.flags="0x3000"
 >
 > # Possibly needed for successful resume
 > hint.apic.0.disabled=1

That might be one to try either way, with other combinations.

 > # Needed for sound
 > snd_ich_load="YES"
 >
 > # Needed for wireless (iwi)
 > if_iwi_load="YES"
 > wlan_load="YES"
 > firmware_load="YES"
 > iwi_bss_load="YES"
 > iwi_ibss_load="YES"
 > iwi_monitor_load="YES"
 > legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1
 >
 > # Needed for 3d graphics acceleration
 > agp_load="YES"
 >
 > # Needed for cdrecord to work
 > atapicam_load="YES"
 >
 > # See 'man acpi_ibm'
 > acpi_ibm_load="YES"

I've found that vesa_load="YES" helps on my T23 especially if suspending
from a VT rather than in X, referring to your 'console comes up blank.'
Something to try anyway, and I don't think it ever hurts.

 > > cat /etc/rc.conf
 > # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sat Jul  4 11:10:49 2009
 > # Created: Sat Jul  4 11:10:49 2009
 > # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
 > # Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
 > # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
 >
 > # Set by sysinstall
 > hostname="sussman.snikeris.com"
 > #ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
 > linux_enable="YES"
 > moused_enable="YES"
 >
 > # Allow X to locate mouse and keyboard automatically using HAL
 > hald_enable="YES"
 > dbus_enable="YES"
 >
 > keyrate="fast"
 > keybell="off"
 >
 > > cat /etc/sysctl.conf
 > # $FreeBSD: src/etc/sysctl.conf,v 1.8.32.1 2009/04/15 03:14:26 kensmith Exp $
 > #
 > #  This file is read when going to multi-user and its contents piped thru
 > #  ``sysctl'' to adjust kernel values.  ``man 5 sysctl.conf'' for details.
 > #
 >
 > # Uncomment this to prevent users from seeing information about processes that
 > # are being run under another UID.
 > #security.bsd.see_other_uids=0
 >
 > hw.acpi.standby_state=S0
 > hw.acpi.suspend_state=S3
 > hw.acpi.sleep_button_state=S3
 > vfs.usermount=1
 > hw.acpi.sleep_delay=3

If hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1 is no help, I'd try -mobile ..

cheers, Ian