Remounting a drive as read/write crashes the system and no dmesg.boot

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Thu Aug 20 22:42:09 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 18 August 2009 12:11:10 Tim Judd wrote:
> On 8/18/09, Scott Schappell <archon at silvertree.org> wrote:
> > I have a drive (/dev/ad2s1d) mounted to /backup that I want to be read
> > only until the backup scripts run and then it will be read/write.  If
> > I set /etc/fstab to:
> >
> > /dev/ad2s1d             /backup         ufs     ro
> > 0       0
>
> On my CF-based devices (firewalls.. nagios boxes, etc), I run:
>
> mount -uw /
> to update the mount (not mount again) the filesystem.  If you're
> trying to mount again, I could understand why the box panics.

I don't. It's perfectly valid to mount a device multiple times and on the same
node even. Certainly unmounting then remounting should not panic the system.

If you keep getting this panic, please try and obtain a crash dump, though I
suspect this to be driver or hardware related as I can't imagine such a bug
has slipped into vfs/ufs.
--
Mel