Suspend/Resume on Thinkpad x40

Joe Snikeris joe at snikeris.com
Thu Aug 20 19:03:31 UTC 2009

Hi all,

First off, I apologize if this is not the right forum for this
question.  I was torn between posting this in mobile, ACPI, X11 and
here.  If I might get a better response in one of those forums, please
let me know and I'll post there instead.

I'm having some trouble getting the kinks worked out of the
suspend/resume functionality on my laptop, an IBM Thinkpad X40.  It is
mostly working now, but I am still experiencing some strange behavior.
 I can suspend and resume from a console just fine (except for the
fact that the console comes up blank and only displays new
characters); however, suspending and resuming in X is problematic.

The first suspend and resume in X works perfectly, but the next time I
hit suspend, the machine locks up while still displaying whatever I
was doing in X.  Note that if I switch to a virtual terminal before
hitting suspend, this problem does not occur.  Does anyone have any
suggestions on what I might do to get this resolved?  The details of
my machine follows; please let me know if any additional information
would be helpful.

> uname -a
FreeBSD sussman.snikeris.com 7.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p2 #0:
Wed Jun 24 00:57:44 UTC 2009
root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

> cat /boot/loader.conf
# Disable boot menu
beastie_disable="YES"
autoboot_delay=-1

# Needed for firefox to display certain HTML5 elements
sem_load="YES"

# Needed so we can resume from suspend w/ a working display.
hw.acpi.reset_video=1
# Needed so mouse will work on resume
hint.psm.0.flags="0x3000"

# Possibly needed for successful resume
hint.apic.0.disabled=1

# Needed for sound
snd_ich_load="YES"

# Needed for wireless (iwi)
if_iwi_load="YES"
wlan_load="YES"
firmware_load="YES"
iwi_bss_load="YES"
iwi_ibss_load="YES"
iwi_monitor_load="YES"
legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1

# Needed for 3d graphics acceleration
agp_load="YES"

# Needed for cdrecord to work
atapicam_load="YES"

# See 'man acpi_ibm'
acpi_ibm_load="YES"

> cat /etc/rc.conf
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sat Jul  4 11:10:49 2009
# Created: Sat Jul  4 11:10:49 2009
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

# Set by sysinstall
hostname="sussman.snikeris.com"
#ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"

# Allow X to locate mouse and keyboard automatically using HAL
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

keyrate="fast"
keybell="off"

> cat /etc/sysctl.conf
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/sysctl.conf,v 1.8.32.1 2009/04/15 03:14:26 kensmith Exp $
#
#  This file is read when going to multi-user and its contents piped thru
#  ``sysctl'' to adjust kernel values.  ``man 5 sysctl.conf'' for details.
#

# Uncomment this to prevent users from seeing information about processes that
# are being run under another UID.
#security.bsd.see_other_uids=0

hw.acpi.standby_state=S0
hw.acpi.suspend_state=S3