No Device Node assigned for HD?

Rob lists at midsummerdream.org
Thu Aug 20 18:08:40 UTC 2009

I've a 10 disk server that I am using as a file server.  I split the
disks up unto 3 partitions, with a being part of a gmirror for /, b
being part of a gmirror for swap, and d being part of the zfs pool.
I've got 6 SATA headers on my MB, and 4 from a HighPoint RocketRAID 2310
controller which I'm just using as an SATA controller (no RAID
functionality).

I recently added an Hitachi 1TB drive to the RocketRAID controller, but
I'm not seeing FreeBSD assign it a device node.  FreeBSD recognizes the
drive insertion, but doesn't give it a device node.  All the drives are
SATA hot-swap, so I connected the drive to a header off the MB and
FreeBSD happily gave it a device node.  Additionally, I already have a
few of these drives in the array, but they're all connected to headers
on the MB.  This is the first attempt at adding one to the RocketRAID
controller.  The controller currently has 3 other disks in it that are
500GB, and FreeBSD has had no problems with them.  The RocketRAID
controller's BIOS recognizes the disk as well, so it doesn't seem the
card is incapable of handling disks that large.  I've even tried
rebooting the system after the drive has been connected, but no luck.

Here's the respective info from the boot sequence as it pertains to the
RocketRAID and the drives attached to it:

hptrr: start channel [0,0]
hptrr: start channel [0,1]
hptrr: start channel [0,2]
hptrr: start channel [0,3]
hptrr: [0 0] Start channel soft reset.
hptrr: [0 1] Start channel soft reset.
hptrr: [0 2] Start channel soft reset.
hptrr: [0 3] Start channel soft reset.
hptrr: channel [0,0] started successfully
hptrr: channel [0,1] started successfully
hptrr: channel [0,2] started successfully
hptrr: channel [0,3] started successfully
hptrr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
hptrr0: [ITHREAD]
da0 at hptrr0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <HPT DISK 0_0 4.00> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1 at hptrr0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <HPT DISK 0_1 4.00> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da2 at hptrr0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
da2: <HPT DISK 0_2 4.00> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device

The only difference I've found is that in the RocketRAID BIOS, the 3
500GB drives are recognized with a Legacy Status, whereas the 1TB is
recognized as New Status.  Not sure what that means or how to change it.
  The sizes are reported correctly in the RocketRAID BIOS.  I believe
there is a BIOS update available for the card, but I wouldn't think it
would be necessary since the card's BIOS seems to recognize the card
just fine.

Any suggestions/help?

Rob