Flash10 with 8.0-BETA2 and Firefox 3.5.2

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Aug 20 12:12:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Tijl Coosemans wrote:

> On Thursday 20 August 2009 03:41:05 Warren Block wrote:
>> On 8.0-BETA2 with www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 and www/firefox35
>> installed.
>>
>> As per the Handbook, a soft link in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins to
>> /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so.
>> nspluginwrapper -a -i runs normally.
>>
>> linprocfs mounted, and nspluginwrapper -l shows
>> /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer.so.
>>
>> But about:plugins shows nothing but the "default plugin".
>>
>> Is something else necessary?
>
> I think you ran nspluginwrapper as root. If you run it as a normal
> user it puts the wrapped plugin in ~/.mozilla/plugins where Firefox
> picks it up. If you run it as root it puts it in
> /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins. Firefox 2.x and some other browsers
> scan this directory, but newer versions don't for some reason. You have
> to create a symlink in /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins/ to the
> npwrapper plugin in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/

That works!

I had first run nspluginwrapper -a -i as normal user, then as root.

There is no ~/.mozilla directory for either root or normal user.  But
this is the first machine I've set up where Firefox3.5 was a fresh
install, not an update to a previous version.

Should the Handbook instructions be updated?