duplex printing with OOo.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Aug 19 17:00:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 05:40:50PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:23:07 -0400, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> > It works for me, using 3 steps:
> >
> > 1) Use CUPS instead of lpd
>
> CUPS brings its own lpd, so in fact you're still using a lpd,
> even if it's not the system one's. :-)

	It's been years since I tried CUPS; it gives me fits.  In
	short, it has never worked.

> > 2) Install a PPD for the printer that knows about duplex printing
>
> It seems that this Brother printer does not come with an "operator
> panel" where you can set default modes. As an example, you can
> tell a HP laserjet 4000 duplex to be duplex by default, so you
> don't need additional configuration.
>
> For "modern" printers, PPD files are needed to make printer spoolers
> and filters aware of what capabilities the printer has. This is
> needed if the printer does not conform to standard printer
> languages, such as PS or PCL.

	My networked 5250 does come with a configuration panel.
	Simplex or Duplex.  That lets me do  % lpr <file> single-
	or double-sided.  Regardless, my OpenOffice only prints on
	one-sided. [?]

> > 3) Install OOo with CUPS support
>
> There are some printer settings available in OO, but maybe they
> do not cover all the printer's capabilities.

	Might help if I knew how to get CUPS working...

	Anyway, I'll try CUPS again....

	thanks,

	gary

    The 5.67a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php