Desktop Install Option

Andrew Gould andrewlylegould at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:40:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Sabeeh Baig<sbaig1 at jhu.edu> wrote:
> So, I've been wondering about something.  FreeBSD is a general purpose
> operating system, even though it has historically only heavily been used on
> servers.  Why is it that FreeBSD doesn't provide a desktop installation,
> something similar to say Debian's option of "Standard Desktop"?  For those
> who need it, it'd be great.
>
> --
>
> Sabeeh Ahmed Baig

I am of the opinion that specializing in everything is the same thing
as specializing in nothing.  (Said another way:  If everything is a
priority, nothing is.)  Every operating system has its strengths and
weaknesses.  The more an operating system becomes
all-things-to-all-users, the more it tends to lose its comparative
edge in any one area.

All of that being said,  PC-BSD is a desktop solution on FreeBSD.  You
can download it for free or purchase it with support:
http://www.pcbsd.org/

Andrew