Recovering files after a crash

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Wed Aug 19 07:59:34 UTC 2009

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 09:30:15AM +0200, Erik Norgaard wrote:

>> The problem is that I have no idea which files were affected.
>>
>> So, now some questions:
>>
>> First, how do I determine which files were corrupted? And how do I
>> recover these files?
>
> From what you have shown it is impossible to tell.
>
> A short filesystem check (fsck -F) is run at boot time. If no major problems
> are found, the complete filesystem check is done later in the background.
> The result of that check will be visible in /var/log/messages.

Thanks, I couldn't decipher these GEOM_LABEL messages, nice to know that
I can stop worrying. But for future incidents, the second question remains:

1. How do I best protect my system from disk errors in case of a crash?

I have a headless system with no spare head to attach and doing
single-user blind-folded is further complicated by the fact that I'm not
native to the US keyboard layout, so my top priority is that it boots.

2. When you have lost inodes or similar errors and stuff ends up in
lost+found, how do you figure out what it was and recover the lost files?

Is there a FBSD crash guide?

Thanks, Erik
--
Erik Nørgaard