Packages available for different FreeBSD versions

Chris Stankevitz cstankevitz at toyon.com
Mon Aug 17 23:13:01 UTC 2009

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Yes, all of the above.  Basically, ports (or packages) install under
> /usr/local; everything else under /bin, /usr/bin, etc is part of the
> core OS.

Okay, I think I understand now.

Applications on a FreeBSD machine are broken into two categories:
1. Applications installed under /bin, /usr/bin, etc
2. Applications installed under /usr/local

The first group is called "core OS applications".  The second is called
"ports applications."  FreeBSD developers think carefully before
deciding in which group to place a new application.

Update applications in the first group using freebsd-update but first
decide whether you want RELEASE, STABLE, or CURRENT.  Update
applications in the second group using CVS on the ports tree.

Sometimes applications in the second group will require an update to the
first group with a message like "Does not compile on FreeBSD < 7.0"

Some applications are in both groups and can exist simultaneously, such
as GCC.

Thank you for your help everyone.  I am eager to try FreeBSD -- I had to
install it recently and I loved the documentation.  Been using Gentoo
for many years.

Chris