please help to uninstall FreeBSD!!!

George Davidovich freebsd at optimis.net
Sun Aug 16 17:28:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:54:41AM -0400, Charles Oppermann wrote:

> I assume your use of "MICROS~1" is some sort of clever dig at
> Microsoft, but this is 2009 - not 1995

Sorry, but while I agree the MICROS~1 pejorative can be a bit juvenile
and uncalled for, your assertion that 8.3 filenames are a thing of the
past is incorrect.  If browsing an installation CD or the contents of
your local drive isn't enough to raise a few questions ...

[george at XP] # regtool list '/HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/FileSystem'
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
Win31FileSystem
Win95TruncatedExtensions

The default value for NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is 0.

Obviously, there's reasons for that, but this is one of those situations
where an admonition of "Go ahead and laugh -- it's funny!" might be
appropriate.

--
George