script to send out a dozen letters?

Tim Kellers timothyk at wallnet.com
Sun Aug 16 06:43:05 UTC 2009

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 10:07:15PM -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>>

>>>        if there are tools to do this, please point me at them, but i
>>>        want to send out a snail and/or email|HTML|whatever to a handful
>>>        of companies that i hope to find online.
>>>
>>>        I'm guessing the inside address would me something like
>>>
>>>        Company Name
>>>        Address
>>>        Company Email
>>>
>>>        Attn Mr. Smith:
>>>
>>>        [my canned letter]
>>>

>>>        i forget if the inside address is before the recipient
>>>        address--I *think* so.   is there a way of having date output
>>>        the format "15 August, 2009" rather than my usual, 15aug09?
>>>
>>>        I am pretty sure these people are most accustomed to GUI/html
>>>        mail, so is there a way of invoking evo with html capability?
>>>
>>>        if there are web pointers on this, puleeze clue me in!
>>>
>>>        thanks much,
>>>
>>>        gary
>>>
>>> --
>>>  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service
>>> Unix
>>>        http://jottings.thought.org   http://transfinite.thought.org
>>>
>>> Not entirely clear on you goal here, but if this is a repetitive thing any
>>>
>> of the major scripting lang Perl,PHP,Python etc is easily up to the task.
>> Otherwise OpenOffice merge works great too once you get the hang of it.
>>

> 	i'm thinking of a /bin/sh script.  if $1@ caputures a whole line,
> 	that would grab, say
>
> 	123 Main Street
>
> 	and $2@ would grab
>
> 	York, PA 12345-6789
>

> 	Actually, I'm trying to figure out something I can reuse if and
> 	when necessary, including applying for a JOB!!  whatever....
>
> 	tx,
>
> 	gary
>

>> --
>> Adam Vande More

t may be a bit of overkill, but you might want to take a look at a
customer relationship manager (CRM).  Both vtiger and sugarcrm are in
ports (the lastest version of vtiger 5.1 is not yet in the ports, but it
is a snap ti install, anyway).  You have the ability to maintain
Contacts and Leads, create merged e-mail templates and other custom
templates in vtiger, and it is so flexible you can hack up the code to
make it do just about anything you can think of without going nuts
trying to figure out how the program does what it does.  You need
Apache, php5 with some simple extensions, and MySQL (PostgresQL is
coming soon). vtiger 5.1 also has an html e-mal editor built in and
produces very servicable output.

Leads would be your job prospects, Contacts would be your Leads that
actually produced a dialogue.  I've adapted it to handle Student
marketing enquiries and do customized bulk e-mailings where I work and
it is very easy to set-up and use.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT