A question for developers

Manish Jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 07:11:38 UTC 2009

Steve Bertrand wrote:
 > Manish Jain wrote:
 >> Hi Steve,
 >>
 >>> Vim also does colours/syntax highlighting I found, but quickly disabled
 >>> the colours, as I didn't like them as much as I thought I would.
 >> I wouldn't blame you for not liking Vim's default syntax highlighting.
 >> However, you can try the my set instead which took me  days to fine-tune
 >> to my liking.
 >
 > Thanks much for the info Manish!
 >
 > The best I can tell, your colour scheme file is for GUI. Is this
 > correct? (it doesn't change my console to your colour scheme... it
 > remains default when I enable syntax).
 >
 > With that said, I can tell that what you provided me with is much better
 > than the default. I'll play around this afternoon and see what I can
 > come up with.
 >
 > Cheers!
 >
 > Steve

Hello Steve,

 >> The best I can tell, your colour scheme file is for GUI. Is this
 >> correct? (it doesn't change my console to your colour scheme... it
 >> remains default when I enable syntax).

You are right. Syntax highlighting only works well with X. On the
console, to the best of knowledge, there is no way to change the colours
through vim's rc files.

 >> With that said, I can tell that what you provided me with is much better
 >> than the default. I'll play around this afternoon and see what I can
 >> come up with.

I am really glad you like my colour set. Please pass it on to anyone
who might be interested.

I do not know what your level of expertise with Vim is. Provided you are
or intend to be serious user and that your knowledge is somewhere in the
range of beginner to intermediate, I might be able to help a little
further. Attached is vimref.txt (in a zip), which I created as a
mini-reference for everything I found useful for daily work. Please go
through this file AFTER running vim's own tutor.

Some lines from my .vimrc which you may find useful :

set backspace=2 whichwrap+=<,>,[,]
vnoremap <BS> d

set autoindent
set nobackup
set nohlsearch
set nonumber
set ruler
set linebreak
set wrap
set laststatus=2
set tabstop=4
set shiftwidth=4
set noexpandtab
set showmode
set nocompatible
set vb t_vb=
set display=lastline
set ignorecase
set nomodeline

And finally, a few lines from my .gvimrc :

set columns=98
set lines=49
set font=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-iso8859-15
set guioptions=agimr
set vb t_vb=
set gcr=a:block-Cursor-blinkwait0
hi Cursor guifg=white guibg=black
autocmd GUIEnter * winpos 136 28
syntax off

--
Regards
Manish Jain
invalid.pointer at gmail.com
+91-96500-10329

Laast year I kudn't spell Software Engineer. Now I are won.