Userland PPP fails to load via rc.conf (7.2/amd64)

Fri Aug 14 08:20:06 UTC 2009

Hi Guys,

I ran into the same problem as this person did (see the link below):

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg24337.html

ppp starts fine if invoked from shell prompt, however the problem above
occurs for me when I attempt to start it automatically at boot via
/etc/rc.conf

Funnily enough, the solution presented in that article seems to fix the
issue.. But why? This problem is very easy to reproduce, how could it
have been overlooked? I just happened to find the article in the link
above, out of desperation, it's not good that I had to Google for a
solution.

Is the solution given "safe"? Should I open a PR?

Alex