boot sector f*ed

Neal Hogan nealhogan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 23:19:45 UTC 2009

> Right now I'm just fixing up a new set up of 7.2 on another disk and
> we'll see what that does. Then I will re-setup the files I had recoverd,
> see if they work and then do a last and final install of everything and
> see if that works. And if there is a problem then, then I will know for
> sure that it is not a hardware problem. In using computers, in general,
> over the past 20 plus years I have only had maybe 6 crashes... mostly
> Winbloz and about 3 with FBSD - and only 1 was because of defective
> hardware (a disk)... the rest was power outs and 1 erroneous shutdown...
> not bad ... and I never lost irreplaceable files. :-)   Took some time
> to recover them, but recover did as recover should.
> Oh, well, before I give it all up, I'm giving it one final shot.
> PJ

<observation+>
If I may . . . (again ;-), why is it not a hardware issue? You're a
self-proclaimed, long-time fBSD user experiencing unforeseen
circumstances and the folks attempting to help aren't noobs. So, it
surely can't be a user/software issue ;-) . . . It sounds like you can
get the files that you need/want and then go get some new stuff. It's
not expensive anymore and frankly, it seems that this thread is
doomed. I apologize, but I don't have time to read the lengthy
explanations/rants/responses, but I think a new chapter in PJ's life
is developing and I think that you/he/she should turn the page (I
know, you're trying . . .).
<o+>

P.S. -- trim responses so we can get to the good stuff!