A question for developers

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Aug 13 12:45:22 UTC 2009

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:49:17 -0400, Henry Olyer <henry.olyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Look, use Joe.
>>
>> You won't ever want anything else -- you'll soon forget about
>> meta-escape-alt-@ while holding down the esc-tab-plus key, all the
>> while wishing you had three hands.
>
> That's not a very good way of describing editors/joe.  It is unfair both
> to other editors and to joe itself.
>
> There *are* good points about joe, eg.:
>
>   - It works very well even with pretty dumb terminals.
>
>   - It has a very small footprint
>
>   - It supports many features a `coder' expects (auto indentation,
>     custom tab sizes, macros, etc.)
>
> It is much nicer to describe the *good* points about joe, instead of
> making silly jokes about keyboard shortcuts in other editors.

I fully agree. To be quite honest, the way Emacs does things doesn't
bother me in the least. However, I found that Vi(m) falls more inline
with how I work.

It only took going through the tutorial a couple of times before I was
using it as my full time editor. The tutorial works really well for
'burning in' the actions.

I really like how quickly I can move about my docs, run
commands/programs from inside the editor, splice external files/command
output into the current doc, it's search/replace etc.

Vim also does colours/syntax highlighting I found, but quickly disabled
the colours, as I didn't like them as much as I thought I would.

Giving it a try was no where near as intimidating as I have been told it
was. Now that I have the basics down, it's trivial to periodically
search the web to find out new things it can do. It is the default
editor in FreeBSD, so it's a natural fit anyway.

All of the feedback, tips & tricks and config files have been very much
appreciated!

Steve