location of user crontab files?

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Wed Aug 12 09:31:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:21:08PM -0400, Karl Vogel typed:
> >> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:50:54 -0400,
> >> Identry <identry at gmail.com> said:
>
> I> Where are user crontab files stored in the file system?  I want to make
> I> sure this info is backed up.
>
>    They're in /var/cron/tabs.  If you're using individual crontab files,
>    be sure to rename /etc/crontab or you might have duplicated cronjobs
>    running simultaneously.

I don't think this is sound advise. Leaving /etc/crontab (the system crontab) to do
the system maintenance jobs it is supposed to do and putting additional scripts and
jobs in user tabs is normal practice and won't cause any problems.

Ruben