making FBSD 7.2 X work on a CQ-60 laptop

Henry Olyer henry.olyer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 00:06:03 UTC 2009

I have been having a lot of trouble getting X running on my HP/Compaq
laptop.  A lot of trouble.

For years I used to use xf86cfg and/or xf86config, but now, with FreeBSD 7.2
I can't find them.  (Don't tell me that such useful tools were -- ugh --
depreciated.  No, please no.)

And worse, the keyboard has lot's of really nice key's on it, to dim the
screen and such like that.  Which right now 7.2 ignores.

It's a CQ-60, a Walmart special and I purchased it because it had 3GB of RAM
with a big screen (about 15.5", I think.)  And I went down to my local
computer store and purchased a 500GB SATA drive for $100.

So for $400 I think I got a good deal.  (The machine is on sale now at WM
stores for less than $300.  With tax it was $312.)

Now though I have to make it work with FreeBSD 7.2.  with X.  I need help.
 Does anyone have one running FBSD 7.2 already?