toaster or do-it-myself?

Identry identry at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:57:20 UTC 2009

> there is a great guide for installing qmail:
>        http://www.lifewithqmail.org/
> Of course, it just explains the technical steps for installing qmail,
> not mailserver setups in general (nevertheless there are some links
> about relaying etc.)

That's one of the docs that I was working from yesterday. I also have
the O'Reilly Qmail book.

Actually, I got qmail running fairly quickly using the procedures in
the O'Reilly book. Unfortunately, it died and I then spent about 10
hours trying to figure out what the problem was.

Well, I never did figure it out and I'm not ashamed to say that I've
given up trying. Life's too short. I'm outsourcing the problem to a
email service provider. I realized that running an email server
properly is a full time job, and I already have 14 full time jobs.
Eventually, you just have to say "Enough!" and let someone else handle
some of the work.

I've been hoping to have something useful to contribute to this forum.
That's a lesson well worth passing on, I think!

-- John