Don't let mergemaster beat you down [was Re: Failed update]

Richard Mahlerwein mahlerrd at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 14:33:05 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 8/11/09, Wayne Sierke <ws at au.dyndns.ws> wrote:

> From: Wayne Sierke <ws at au.dyndns.ws>
> Subject: Don't let mergemaster beat you down [was Re: Failed update]
> To: mahlerrd at yahoo.com
> Cc: "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 2:18 AM
> On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 08:34 -0700,
> Richard Mahlerwein wrote:
> > I'm redoing the whole process in single user
> mode.  My guess is I
> > goofed something during mergemaster and devd.conf is
> messed up.
> > (Mergemaster is, undeniably, my least favorite
> utility).
>
> I lost practically all of my 'mergemaster pain' when I
> adopted the habit
> of using it with -iUP options:
>
>         -i
> Automatically install any files that do not exist in the
> des-
>
> tination directory.
>         -P    Preserve
> files that you replace in
>
> /var/tmp/mergemaster/preserved-files-<date>, or
> another
>
> directory you specify in your mergemaster rc file.
>         -U    Attempt to
> auto upgrade files that have not been user modi-
>
> fied.
>
> "Try it - you'll like it!"
>

> Wayne

Thanks for the tips!

I'll have more info in a couple of weeks on this  - I'm in training and not at home until thursday, and Friday we leave to visit relatives for another week.

I did do the rebuild all in single-user mode before I left Sunday, and now I get another signal 12 core crash, at the *same* virtual address, but in a *different* utility... don't remember which one right now, but it seemed completely unrelated.

When I get home in a few weeks, I'm going to run some memory tests and yanking extraneous hardware to try to see if I can make it stop.  Anything else you all can think of to try?

Thanks,
Rich