installworld fails on 7.2-RELEASE/amd64

Mon Aug 10 10:42:20 UTC 2009

Hi Guys,

Have done tonnes of buildworld's before and never ran into the problem I
a having on this new machine.

Basically I have csup'd my source tree on a freshly installed
7.2-RELEASE/amd64 box (tracking the 7.2-RELEASE branch).

make buildworld -- works ok.
make buildkernel KERNCONF=custom -- works ok
make installkernel KERNCONF=custom -- works ok

Boot into single user mode and do the usual things (mount filesystems etc),

mergemaster -p -- works ok.
make installworld -- FAIL

After a minute of installworld running, it dies with this error.

btxld -v -E 0x2000 -f bin -b
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2/../btx/btx/btx -l boot2.ldr  -o
boot2.ld -P 1 boot2.bin
btxld:No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2.
*** Error code 1

I have WITHOUT_LIB32 defined in my /etc/src.conf (even undefining this
and doing a buildworld from scratch didn't fix it), I also have
NO_PROFILE turned on in my /etc/make.conf (as suggested by the FreeBSD
handbook on improving build times - has never caused me a problem in the
past)

Apart from that, everything on the system is stock standard.

I did Google this error, but found no definitive solution, one post I
found suggested that perhaps the system time/date is wrong or that
adjkerntz -i was missed after entering single user mode. This is not the
case for me. Time and date is correct while in single or multi user mode.

Any ideas on what is causing this problem?

I am in the process of deleting /usr/src and completely csup'ing the
source tree from scratch, and will try another rebuild, however I am
skeptical this will fix anything.

Any ideas/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!
Alex