FreeBSD for the common man(or woman) (was: > upgrade 7.2

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 9 20:16:43 UTC 2009

On Sun 09 Aug 2009 at 06:52:31 PDT Chad Perrin wrote:

>An info page is almost as bad as nothing, as far as I'm concerned.  The
>GNU project has this bizarre idea that everybody in the world should use
>everything it produces and *nothing else*, no matter how painful it all
>is to use -- and assumes everybody should be using emacs, so obviously
>the baroque emacs-inspired interface to info pages is "ideal".

It has always puzzled me that Stallman set out to implement a Unix-like
operating system and userland, when his roots seem to have been
elsewhere.  Sometimes I think he must have had a grudge against Unix and
that he deliberately set out to pervert it.   That would certainly
explain some of the more bizarre things coming from GNU!

Never forget, vi was created by the same guy who put together the
original tapes of the Berkeley Software Distribution.  ;-)