FreeBSD for the common man(or woman) (was: upgrade 7.2

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Aug 9 14:08:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 10:09:30PM -0700, James Phillips wrote:

> Okay, after reading this, I used the "WayBack Machine" to review the
> printing section of the April 17, 2006 version of the Handbook.
>
> I was not able to find anything that is writing a print-driver per-se.
> In the "Advanced" section numerous shell scripts are described (some of
> which use printer commands directly), but they tend to use filters from
> the ports collection:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20060417220024/www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-advanced.html
>
> There is a section in the "Simple" section that explicitly says PS !=
> PCL.  Part of the problem may be I did not have documentation for my
> printer, so did not know how to put it in postscript mode.
>
> I really did feel I needed the PCL 4 documentation at one point. I'm
> going to have to conclude I was mistaken.

No biggie.  We all make mistakes from time to time (even me).

For most of my printing needs, I use an HP 4050N.  Configuring CUPS to
use it was very straightforward -- I just chose the most obvious values
from the options presented to me, and everything worked beautifully.  For
most, if not all, network-attached HP printers, I rather suspect it'd be
much the same.

Anyway, best of luck with it.

Quoth Malaclypse the Younger: "'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds."