Setting up LAN: no route to host

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Sun Aug 9 01:08:55 UTC 2009

On Saturday 08 August 2009 16:38:39 Nerius Landys wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a LAN that is isolated from the internet, and I
> don't know what to put in /etc/rc.conf for certain variables.  I'm
> running FreeBSD 7.1 with the latest patches.
>
> So far my /etc/rc.conf file has the following lines:
>
> defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" # I would like to leave this blank, but I
> put something here anyways.
> hostname="speedy.i"
> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.0.254  network 255.255.255.0"
> ifconfig_fxp0="up"

First:
You override the first line with the second line. So in the end, all you
accomplish is mark the interface up.
Second:
network in the first line should be netmask

You should delete the second line (an interface will be marked up if an IP
address is assigned to it) and fix the netmask keyword.

You may want to read up on sh(1) how it treats variables.
--
Mel