configuring X on the Presario with the 8200M driver

Jules Gilbert jules.stocks at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 19:34:53 UTC 2009

Okay, I'm back with another question (but let me begin by saying I
love FreeBSD.  It really is great.  Thank you for building/supporting
it.)

I have one of those $300 Presario laptop's, and it's really wonderful
-- it compares very well to laptops' selling for $2k to even $3k.

But the video driver is an AMD 8200M nvidia device and I can't get X
to configure it.  And I have to run X.  What do I do?

I've tried:

X -configure

that fails.

I notice that PC-BSD will configure it correctly but for other reasons
I have to run native 7.2 FreeBSD -- PC-BSD won't do.

I am not very X experienced (mostly use the ordinary screens,) so I
will need pretty explicit assistance.  Sorry.

--jg