Freebsd-update question

Richard Mahlerwein mahlerrd at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 8 18:14:13 UTC 2009

> From: RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: Freebsd-update question
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 07:16:15 -0700
> (PDT)
> Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I thought I'd give freebsd-update a try since I run a
> GENERIC kernel.
> >
> > mobius# freebsd-update -s update.freebsd.org fetch
> > Looking up update.freebsd.org mirrors... none found.
> > Fetching public key from update.freebsd.org...
> failed.
> > No mirrors remaining, giving up.
>
> Can you access the svr record?
>
> $ dig +short _http._tcp.update.freebsd.org srv
> 1 50 80 update5.FreeBSD.org.
> 2 10 80 update1.FreeBSD.org.
> 1 35 80 update4.FreeBSD.org.
>
> If not try running freebsd-update with servers 4 and 5.

mobius# dig +short _http._tcp.update.freebsd.org srv
(returns nothing)

I tried various of the update servers both via 'dig' and via 'freebsd-update', all returned the same.  I attempted using a "-s 216.14.97.73" seeing if pointing it to IP would work, but no go - same failure.  For what it's worth, making up a -s responds identically (like '-s bleh.a.oorg').  How is freebsd-update resolving addresses?

I'm sure this is all user error somewhere along the line.