Fwd: Boot failure

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 7 15:31:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:08:44AM -0400, Identry wrote:
> > if not have you tried it?
>
> No. I need to figure out how to do that, and I didn't have enough
> brain power last night after doing all those backups.
>
> After sleeping on it, I am wondering if I can kill two birds with one
> stone... by using 7.2 install CDs to upgrade the machine? I believe
> there is an 'upgrade' option on the install menu (I'm burning some 7.2
> CDs right now to double check.)

Realize that if you upgrade to 7.x, you'll have to remove and reinstall
all ports because the version number of shared system libraries will
have changed.

> Or would it be safer to try to bring up the machine on it's own with a
> 6.2 generic kernel, first?

Seeing as how you can mount the partitions on the drive perfectly by
hand, maybe it was just a glitch. Have you tried rebooting again?

If it still doesn't work, try getting into the boot menu and see if the
drive looks OK from there.

Roland