Boot failure

Odhiambo ワシントン odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 14:46:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Identry <jalmberg at identry.com> wrote:

> >Are you using the GENERIC kernel
>
> After more research, I think the answer to this is no. There is a
> directory called /boot/kernel.old. From my reading, I believe this is
> the original generic kernel?
>
> > if not have you tried it?
>
> Not yet. Section "24.2.3 Major and Minor Upgrades" of the Handbook
> says I can load the generic kernel by renaming /boot/kernel.old to
> /boot/GENERIC.
>
> I think this is what I need to do to boot the generic kernel?
>
> ------------------
> If the system was running with a custom kernel, use the nextboot(8)
> command to set the kernel for the next boot to /boot/GENERIC (which
> was updated):
>
> # nextboot -k GENERIC
>
>    Warning: Before rebooting with the GENERIC kernel, make sure it
> contains all drivers required for your system to boot properly (and
> connect to the network, if the machine that is being updated is
> accessed remotely). In particular, if the previously running custom
> kernel contained built-in functionality usually provided by kernel
> modules, make sure to temporarily load these modules into the GENERIC
> kernel using the /boot/loader.conf facility. You may also wish to
> disable non-essential services, disk and network mounts, etc. until
> the upgrade process is complete.
>
> The machine should now be restarted with the updated kernel:
>
> # shutdown -r now
> -------------------
>
> So, it sounds like the safe move is to try to get the Generic kernel
> up and running, and then think about doing an upgrade.
>
> Unfortunately, I need to drive back to the server... another 2 hr
> commute. Gotta find a closer data center :-)

If you did not touch the kernel, there is no need to boot GENERIC! Plus you
have said that this box is running PF, which is not in the GENERIC kernel!
Personally, I am interested in knowing why the system does not mount the
root partition on its own when you can do it by hand and it does not
complain.
Did you by any chance change anyting in /etc/fstab?
What entries you do have in /etc/sysctl.conf?

Please try "fsck -y" option first although I am not quite optimistic about
it, given that mounting by hand works so far.
If I were to upgrade, I'd go to 6.4-STABLE first and wait there while
thinking about the next move.
What does your /etc/rc.conf contain?

--
Best regards,