Boot failure

Identry jalmberg at identry.com
Fri Aug 7 14:31:05 UTC 2009

>Are you using the GENERIC kernel

After more research, I think the answer to this is no. There is a
directory called /boot/kernel.old. From my reading, I believe this is
the original generic kernel?

> if not have you tried it?

Not yet. Section "24.2.3 Major and Minor Upgrades" of the Handbook
says I can load the generic kernel by renaming /boot/kernel.old to
/boot/GENERIC.

I think this is what I need to do to boot the generic kernel?

------------------
If the system was running with a custom kernel, use the nextboot(8)
command to set the kernel for the next boot to /boot/GENERIC (which
was updated):

# nextboot -k GENERIC

    Warning: Before rebooting with the GENERIC kernel, make sure it
contains all drivers required for your system to boot properly (and
connect to the network, if the machine that is being updated is
accessed remotely). In particular, if the previously running custom
kernel contained built-in functionality usually provided by kernel
modules, make sure to temporarily load these modules into the GENERIC
kernel using the /boot/loader.conf facility. You may also wish to
disable non-essential services, disk and network mounts, etc. until
the upgrade process is complete.

The machine should now be restarted with the updated kernel:

# shutdown -r now

So, it sounds like the safe move is to try to get the Generic kernel
up and running, and then think about doing an upgrade.

Unfortunately, I need to drive back to the server... another 2 hr
commute. Gotta find a closer data center :-)

Thanks: John