upgrade 7.2 overwrites partitions

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Aug 5 18:33:46 UTC 2009

Jonathan,

I'd like to thank you for your polite words. I'm not sure I could
have been able to express in the same way. Allow me a few comments:

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:51:53 +0200, Jonathan McKeown <j.mckeown at ru.ac.za> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 August 2009 15:49:38 PJ wrote:
> > Well, whatever it was it sure screwed up my system
>
> You screwed up your system. Possibly that started when you tried to use
> freebsd-update with a non-GENERIC kernel, but you then thrashed around,
> apparently ignoring most of the help you were offered on this list and
> getting into more and more trouble, while never explaining exactly what you
> were doing.

For any operating system is true: As long as you can't master it
because you don't exactly know how to do things, it's always a
little bit dangerous.

> ``I can't use it, therefore it's rubbish''. That's fine, no-one forced you to
> use FreeBSD in the first place and I doubt anyone minds that you don't want
> to use it any more.

I had a similar problem last year: My home directory is still gone
and FreeBSD doesn't seem to be able to restore it. But I haven't
found (a) a system that brings back my precious data and (b) can
offer the same functionality and easyness of use FreeBSD does.

This is, of course, a very individual problem. As you know from this
list, most problems are of a less "important" nature. But failing
to read the documentation - you can always ask if you don't understand
what something might mean - has never been a problem. If you stick
to the official handbook, no serious problems should occur.

> Personally, I do think it's a pity, because FreeBSD (in my experience, since
> FreeBSD 4.5) is stable, easy to use (once you have the basic Unix concepts on
> board), and astonishingly well-documented. It's also supported by one of the
> friendliest and most knowledgeable communities I know.

In relations to most Linusi and MICROS~1 stuff in general, FreeBSD is the
MOST EXCELLENT documented OS I've ever used - and I have used many OSes
during my "career". The FAQ, the handbook and especially the manpages are
great. Of course, that's my point of view as a developer. For a "normal
user", this might look a bit different, but finally, there's this very
helpful and friendly list.

> Having said all that, I wish you well and I hope you find a system which suits
> you better than the one you have trashed.

I honestly second that. If FreeBSD isn't your cup of tea, try something
else. I'm sure you'll find some OS that fits your needs better.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0