Opera in your repos

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Wed Aug 5 15:43:07 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 07:02:18 Ilya Shpan'kov wrote:

> I work in Opera Software - yes, we make a proprietary browser ;)
> Last 7 years I use GNU/Linux and know that, for example, in Russia the
> Opera browser is very popular in BSD Community. Well, there is a
> question: whether Opera is included to your distro and if not - how we can
> fix this problem? We are ready for any discussions, technical help or
> agreement, if necessary.

Well, we can start to agree that FreeBSD is not a "distro", but a UNIX
operating system. :)
Opera is available in the ports system as 3rd party software made to work on
FreeBSD. There are 3 opera ports, which you can view here:
http://www.freshports.org/www/opera
http://www.freshports.org/www/opera-devel
http://www.freshports.org/www/linux-opera (through linux emulation)

There are no issues I'm aware of, that's specific to the FreeBSD/Opera
combination (no flash support is an issue with Adobe, not Opera and I got one
bugreport in the queue, that I'm also not sure is FreeBSD specific, more
built-in torrent application specific).
--
Mel