ZFS Boot Support from Installer

Mark Stapper stark at mapper.nl
Tue Aug 4 07:24:01 UTC 2009

Tim Gustafson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there was a plan or time line in place to support ZFS boot partitions in the installer.  I Googled around a bit and found some how-to documents for setting it up in a hacky kind of way, but the impression I got is that support for ZFS partitions is coming to the installer in perhaps 7.3 or 8.0, and I wanted to confirm or dispel that myth before I go forward using the hacky method.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim Gustafson
> Baskin School of Engineering
> UC Santa Cruz
> tjg at soe.ucsc.edu
> 831-459-5354

Hello,

I don't know about the "installer" but I believe the bootloader in 8.0
will (allready does) support booting from zfs.
See links below
for 8.0: http://lulf.geeknest.org/blog/freebsd/Setting_up_a_zfs-only_system/
for 7.x: http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSOnRoot

I'd go for 8.0 if you whish to use an all zfs system.
You might want to wait for the release version if you are affraid of the
"hacking" method.
Or you could try it in a Virtual Machine.
Greetz,
Mark