NFS performance-tuning FreeBSD <-> NetApp

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Mon Aug 3 09:24:46 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've got a FreeBSD 7.2 box (HP C-class Blade - AMD dual core Opteron
(x64), 4GB RAM, Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5706) that should be
connected to a NetApp 3170 filer via NFS.

Out of the box, with nothing tuned (no special parameters for
mount_nfs, no kernel tuning), performance is very sluggish: I've got
~250Mbit/sec performance with peaks around 400Mbit/sec.

Sure enough, neither CPU (server and NetApp) nor network performance
is the problem here - it must be something NFS-related.

Any ideas on how to increas my NFS-performance? (Special mount
parameters, kernel tuning,...)

Thanks in advance for any clue,
-ewald