how to install vmware-server on freebsd 7.1

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Thu Apr 30 07:44:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:51:16 +0800 Mail wrote:

> Good day to everybody,
> I have a problem with installation vmware-server 2 for linux on my
> freebsd 7.1. i install it from rpm. before it, i installed
> linux_base_f9, load linux.ko, mount linprocfs.

You may have problems with FreeBSD-7.1 and linux_base-f9.
Welcome to emulation@ mail list.

> When i run sudo rpm -i --ignoreos --dbpath /lib/var/rpm --root

We don't use linux rpm database, it's behaviour is undefined,
untested and unsupported.

> /compat/linux vmware-server.XXXX.rpm i get this:
> /bin/sh is needed to vmware-server.XXXX.rpm,
> but there`s /bin/sh and /compat/linux/bin/sh.
> What does it mean, and what i need to do to resolve this problem?

You may do it like this:
-----
# cd /compat/linux
# rpm2cpio your_rpm_file | cpio -id --quiet
-----

You'd better create a port and use it to install/deinstall
that rpm file.

HTH & WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)