Chicken and egg

Steven Friedrich StevenFriedrich at InsightBB.com
Tue Apr 28 21:36:21 UTC 2009

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Steven Friedrich wrote:
>> Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>>> Not only have I not seen or heard of this problem before, I can't see
>>> any direct dependency of either libdrm or cairo on the other.
>>>
>> pkg_info -r cairo\* shows that cairo needs libdrm.
>> Information for cairo-1.8.6_1,1:
>>
>> Depends on:
>> Dependency: libdrm-2.4.9
>>
>> If anyone has a has a test system, where they could try my scenario,
>> i.e., deleting all installed packages and trying to install xorg, I
>> think you'll find it.
>>
>> I have two identical systems that I have mobile racks in, allowing me
>> to swap out the hard drives. So I have 4 sets of drives, Lightning,
>> Daemon, FreakinBSD, and Gandalf.  I saw this issue with Daemon.  I
>> need to update FreakinBSD and Gandalf, so I'll try this again and get
>> it in a log file.
>>
>> libdrm doesn't build without cairo.h in /usr/local/include, but it
>> won't be there until you're built cairo, which depends on libdrm.
>>
> As Lowell already said, I can't find any dependency between libdrm and
> cairo. My guess is you package database has one or more stale
> dependencies. However, if the purpose is to wipe all packages you don't
> even have to bother with pkg_delete. In such cases I simply  rm
> /usr/local and /var/db/pkg (Keep /var/db/pkg/linux_base-fc* if you are
> using the linux binary compatibility, as this is not installed in
> /usr/local but /usr/compat). I do this routinely on test systems.

On a system with cairo installed, try pkg_info -r cairo\*|grep drm

Here's from one of my systems:
Dependency: libdrm-2.4.9

Since I used pkg_delete -a to get rid of all ports and packages, I
couldn't have any stale dependencies, could I ?

After that I went to /usr/ports/x11/xorg and did a make install and it
failed.  My ports are recent, I'm tracking 7.2-RC1, etc.

--

Steven Friedrich
Lexington, KY 40509