French-Canadian Keyboard & keyboard switching

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 28 19:51:49 UTC 2009

Frank Shute wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 06:42:52AM -0400, PJ wrote:
>
>> I am rather surprised and disappointed that no one has any ideas about
>> using and/or installing a French-Canadian keyboard on FreeBSD. That is a
>> terrible bug in FreeBSD and a worse slur on the Québecois (or
>> Quebeckers) or are we being neglected and still considered "The White
>> Niggers of America"? ;-)
>> Anyway, everything I have tried does not work on FreeBSD or on xorg.
>> Cannot set it up or switch.
>> Somebody, please help.
>>

> Have you tried:
>
> Option "XkbLayout" "ca(fr)"
>
> in your keyboard/inputdevice section of xorg.conf?
>
> For the console you want to have a look at kbdmap(1) and the list of
> maps.
>
> Looks like you want:
>
> keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc"
>
> in /etc/rc.conf
>

> Regards,

I probably should have posted all the stuff I tried. My apologies.
Yes, I had tried similar Options as described in a number of sites,
including, I think FreeBSD and Xorg. Only the man pages showed different
inputs. I don't know where you got the fr_CA.iso.acc; my installation
showed the available keymaps as fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd
kbdmap -s returns You are not on a virtual console - expect strange side
effects
lang_default = en
dialect = fr_...ISO8859-1
lang_abk = fr
Currently supported languages: da de el en es fr hy iw no pl pt ru sv uk
=====
Interesting, eh? where does fr_CA fit in and how?
For Xorg here is what I had found on
http://markmail.org/messsage/yvq7qqnqhq33hqgf
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us,ca"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle"
That is what I had tried; it didn't work.
I had tried keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd" and that gave(gives) the correct
keyboard on the console. Except, it spews out French error messages
(tiresome=ennuiyant).
The Option "XkbLayout" "us,ca" - I have no idea where it comes from and
I sure would like to know what to enter for that to try it out. And
where does the "grp:toggle" come from?
I just went through the same routine and I can't find any combination
that works with the information I have been able to gather.
:-(

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php