Modern FreeBSD Installer?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Apr 27 13:40:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 02:28:53AM -0500, Gary Gatten wrote:

> I'm trying to ignore this thread, but as an infrequent installer, I think it would be nice for those of us with limited experience to have a context sensitive help to explain the various install options, such as: what it is/does, how much disk space, how many/which dependancies, estimated install time, etc. I don't care if its TUI or GUI - just something to help me make the various selections at install time.  With my luck such a thing is already there and I just don't know about it, but thought I'd throw it out.

I would go for this.   I have done hundreds of installations and still
find times that I want more information in the middle of things.  That
is especially true if I try to add some packages at install time.

But, I agree that we must not give up on a 'text based' installer that
is the most generally usable, even if some other options might be made
available.    The text based installer could also be massaged a bit
to make it a little easier to understand as well, without losing its
functionality.

Read Jordan Hubbard's white paper whose URL was posted a few days ago.
It clarifies things a lot.
      http://people.freebsd.org/~jkh/package-and-install.txt

Probably even more could be said, but that gives an essential frame
of reference.

////jerry