Modern FreeBSD Installer?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Apr 26 17:44:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 20:28:55 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> I think this is a reasonable approach to the problem of which
> installation mode to launch.  The default is `user friendly', [...]

No, the default is GUI. That's a big difference because
it entirely depends on the user. Imagine a bline user.
Is GUI user friendly for him? No, because he has zero
output on his Braille line. The installer does something
and he doesn't even notice.

My idea would be to add a short description for each
choice (so the illiterate user can make an assumption of
what he will get), but default to the SIMPLEST option
always.

That's the idea of FreeBSD: The installer provides a
basic OS that runs, but YOU need to install the applications
you want. The philosophy is: If you want it, go get it.
It's not that it fills GBs on your hard disk with stuff
you'll never touch (as in my case, PC-BSD would do with
the whole KDE stuff).

	FreeBSD installer selection

	Please select the environment where you want to
	perform the installation

	(1)	Text mode installer
		This installer runs well on a serial line
		and is intended for professional users. It
		runs on every system (desktop and server).

	(2)	Graphical installer (basic)
		This installer is intended for PCs. It gives
		help and advices and guides you through the
		installation. It's recommended for new users.

	(3)	Graphical installer (extended)
		Works as (2), but gives even more help and
		advices. Runs on most recent computers. It
		can be utilized by new users, too.

	You have 30 seconds to make a selection. If no selection
	is made, the text mode installer (fail-safe mode) will
	be launched.

	Choice  ===> _

	PF1    PF2                                    PF10
	Help   Language                               Abort

> [...] there is a
> timeout so the installer won't get stuck forever in the prompt, and
> there is still an option for a plain console-based installation for
> everyone who wants to go that way.

The plain console shouldn't be the option, it should be the
default. The GUI should be the option because it IS optional
(read: not required) for real work.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany