Hardwire drive0 to ad0 on hw raid.

Leon Meßner l.messner at physik.tu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 26 15:12:14 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:39:09PM -0600, Tim Judd wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Leon Meßner
> <l.messner at physik.tu-berlin.de>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > i'm having a problem with the disk numbering of RAID arrays (3ware
> > 9650SE). When i boot, the array with my system is always the last
> > numbered drive (ATM its ad16). This array is on its own controller.
> > lsdev in the loader shows the array as drive0 (first BIOS drive i
> > assume).
> > Is there a way to hardwire this to ad0 as i dont want my system
> > array to have different numbers when booting with different amounts
> > of drives attached to the system.
<snip>

> That's one of the advantages of putting labels on a filesystem.  You
> then
> specify in fstab that you mount by it's label versus the device name
> directly.

Ok, thanks. That works for getting my system mounted ok. Now i have a
zfs raid on the rest of my drives (ad0-ad15). If i now boot with one of
these removed, will zfs try to use my system disk (now beeing ad15) ?

Is it necessary to label all my drives and setup zfs to use the labeled
devices ? I need glabel for this right, because there is no fs on these
drives.

Thanks,
Leon