CVS history access?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 26 01:13:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 05:35:34 -0400, John Nielsen <lists at jnielsen.net> wrote:
> I'm working on a machine learning project and I'd like to use the
> FreeBSD src CVS commit history as a datasource. Is there a
> resource-friendly way for me to download some or all of it? Format
> isn't too big an issue.
>
> I tried a few "cvs history" commands against the anoncvs servers but
> get this: cvs [history aborted]: cannot open history file:
> /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/history: No such file or directory

Do you really want just the `CVSROOT/history' file?  We allow mirroring
of the entire repository, which you can then use to extract any sort of
historical commit data.  (Well, _almost_ anything.  Some things like
repo-copies and renames of raw repository files have been done without
any sort of record, so it may be impossible to recover *those*
particular bits.)

We also have a Subversion repository now, that you can use to grab
commit information.  It takes slightly more disk space than the CVS
repository, but subversion can export XML formatted commit logs, which
may be slightly more useful if you plan to automate parts of the parsing
and info-gathering.