Modern FreeBSD Installer?

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sat Apr 25 11:16:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:20:00AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> Wojciech Puchar writes:
> > as you can do everything easily in text mode, it just points out that GUI
> > installer is nonsense.
>
> The real problem happens when the GUI is considered to
> be all anybody needs.

I think there's no need to worry (yet). Some of us use FreeBSD on
headless systems (which often don't even have the VGA and keyboard
circuitry). And of course, we install via remote serial consoles.
Anything purely GUI-oriented with no alternative would mean instant
migration to OpenBSD or another OS for purely practical reasons.

So, no, I don't see text-based sysinstall disappear anytime soon. ;-)

> Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
> Systems Engineer
> OSU Information Technology Department Telecommunications Services Group

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/