Format of history output Sometimes is very Different.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 21:32:29 UTC 2009

Martin McCormick wrote:
> the normal output of the history command resembles:
>
>     1  env
>     2  ssh system1.somedomain.com
>     3  scan cur
>
> etc.
>
> 	On occasion, I have seen a history output that shows the
> list of commands plus the time they were executed. I am not sure
> exactly how I got that output as I couldn't duplicate it on
> demand. Any ideas on what I did to get that alternative output?

tcsh(1) includes timestamps in it's .history.  bash(1) doesn't.
Not sure about other shells, but the historical (ahem!) behaviour
of csh(1) was not to use timestamps, and I think most shells
subsequently developed have carried on the same history format, with
tcsh(1) being the exception.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3