mail server/webmail

Frederique Rijsdijk frederique at isafeelin.org
Thu Apr 23 18:22:52 UTC 2009

Liontaur wrote:
> Hi folks, I was searching around but i'm not quite sure what i'm looking
> for. I want to have a program that gets the mail from my ISP mail server
> (pop), stores the mail permanently, allows me webmail access, and also lets
> me grab the mail with a mail client (Outlook Express). I'd like to be able
> to sync the mail with outlook express also. Like if I send a mail over
> webmail, that sent mail will also go into the sent box in outlook express,
> or conversly, perhaps store all the mail on the server and have outlook
> express just show the folders and contents stored on the server. But i'd
> have to somehow upload all of the mail currently in my outlook express. I'll
> also need some kind of spam functionality as I get a sizable amount of spam.
> Currently I use K9 for spam and I quite like it.
I guess you could start to look in the area of:

- /usr/ports/mail/fetchmail (to fetch/store the mail)
- /usr/ports/mail/dovecot (for access to the mail via imap)
- /usr/ports/mail/squirremail or roundcube (webmail w/ imap)
- /usr/ports/www/apache22 for the webmail

As you're then using IMAP, any client that connects to dovecot will get
the same set of mailfolders (sync).

-- Frederique