Modern FreeBSD Installer?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Apr 23 06:52:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:07:54 -1000, Al Plant <noc at hdk5.net> wrote:
> Gui installs have a tendency to hide things you need to tweak or alter
> to suit a specific need.

That's a point especially when you want to turn an older 150 MHz
P1 into a worthful part of the IT society. :-)

No, honestly: If the GUI installer just runs on a narrow subsets
of up-to-date GPUs, there are major problems. Especially when a
server has no GPU at all.

Let me state this: correct screen detection is already a problem
with "the big" X, how should "a small" installer get this right
with its limited resources? Mind this: The installer runs in a
very limited setting, while X can rely on an already running
system.

Good ways to go (for those who want it this way) are PC-BSD,
DesktopBSD and FreeSBIE.

> I find it fast and efficient the way it is.

Which makes it modern, in my opinion. But hey, I'm old and
old-fashioned anyway. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany