FreeBSD and Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

Daniel Underwood djuatdelta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:28:00 UTC 2009

I'm having trouble getting wireless to work on my FreeBSD laptop.

I'm running FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE. My wireless device is Intel
PRO/Wireless 2200BG.

After typing "ifconfig iwi0", I get the following:

iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:16:6f:91:d5:58
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
        status: no carrier
        ssid "" channel 1 (2412 Mhz 11b)
        authmode WPA1+WPA2/802.11i privacy ON deftxkey UNDEF bmiss 10
        scanvalid 60 bgscan bgscanintvl 300 bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi11b 7
        roam:rate11b 1 roaming MANUAL bintval 0

Now I (repeatedly) receive the following error messages in my xconsole:

firmware_get: failed to load firmware image iwi_bss
iwi0: could not load firmware

My /etc/rc.conf contains:

ifconfig_iwi0="WPA DHCP"

My /boot/loader.conf contains:

wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"

After typing "kldstat", I receive the following (note that iwi_bss.ko exists):

Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   18 0xc0400000 97f830   kernel
 2    1 0xc0d80000 6a2c4    acpi.ko
 3    1 0xc3e3c000 22000    linux.ko
 4    1 0xc408f000 6000     i915.ko
 5    1 0xc40a2000 f000     drm.ko
 6    1 0xc4280000 f000     if_iwi.ko
 7    1 0xc42ae000 30000    iwi_bss.ko

Please help me figure this out. I've been trying to get wireless to work
for 3 days now, and I've searched and searched for a solution. Let me
know if you need more information.

Thanks,
Daniel