cvsup-mirror

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:50:01 UTC 2009

I am having quite the issue with a cvsup-mirror install (1.3_8) here.  It
seems to be keeping some meta information file somewhere and has FAILED to
give me a local mirror (not one to be publicly available) yet.

Being the stubborn person I am, I have multiple times cleared some and all
of the following to try to resolve the problem...

/usr/local/etc/cvsup
the package itself
/home/ncvs
/home/cvsupin
/usr/ports/ports/net/cvsup-mirror

And each time it takes ~5 hours to download 1.5GB of data in /home/ncvs then
a client connecting to itself fails to work.  Latest problem is

Server warning: Cannot open
"/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/FreeBSD.cvs/src/gnu/lib/libgmp/mpz/get_si.c,v":
No such file or directory
Server warning: Cannot open
"/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/FreeBSD.cvs/src/gnu/lib/libgmp/mpz/get_str.c,v":
No such file or directory
Server warning: Cannot open
"/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/FreeBSD.cvs/src/gnu/lib/libgmp/mpz/get_ui.c,v":
No such file or directory
Server warning: Cannot open
"/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/FreeBSD.cvs/src/gnu/lib/libgmp/mpz/getlimbn.c,v":
No such file or directory

It's just a snippet..  It can't find ANYTHING.

Other problems included the inability to even select the src-all/cvs or
ports-all/cvs (trees? branches?) in the server, yet it has 1.5GB downloaded.

What'd help me to learn what's wrong is the line in config.sh as below:
distribs="distrib.self .. . FreeBSD.cvs /home/ncvs . FreeBSD-www.current
SKIP . FreeBSD-gnats.current SKIP gnats FreeBSD-mail.current SKIP ."

My guess is it names a distribution and puts a directory it stores the files
into in the next argument, separated by space.  Next distribution is named
and it's directory it stores the files into as the next one past that, with
all distributions separated by a single period.

Then the word 'gnats' throws me off because I .....  don't know what the
heck it's there for..  is the '.' an alias instead to the first item in the
line, meaning it's a tuple?
(distrib storedir alias)...

What throws me off is that the /usr/local/etc/cvsup directory was tarred up
from a working mirror and copied here and let the update.sh run for 5 hours,
to come to the above quoted warnings (but I'm treating them as errors).  The
working system has about 4GB in /home/ncvs that works for me, but this one
can't get past 1.5GB.  Working system has been working beautifully for
several months (6?)..  so maybe it's just collective.

I really would like to get a bearing on cvsup-mirror, but have no clue what
to google or read to find out some of the troubleshooting guides.

--Tim