freebsd-update on FreeBSD 6.x

Andy Smith a.smith at ukgrid.net
Wed Apr 22 10:14:19 UTC 2009

Hi,

   when running "freebsd-update fetch" on FreeBSD 6.x I get the error:

Fetching public key...
fetch: http://update.freebsd.org/i386/6.1/pub.key: No address record
Error fetching updates

I've previously had a search around and compared the config file with
that present by default on FreeBSD 7.x (which works without any
hacking etc) but I never did work out what is wrong or what should be
in a good config file. For one thing the directory its looking in for
the pub.key seems to be hardcoded as "/i386/6.1/" or at least that
path is not present in my conf file, perhaps its possible to add an
additional line to the conf file to modify this... Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

thanks in advance, Andy.