maybe OT, but involves OOO its slideshow fmt, ``Impress''

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Apr 22 07:23:21 UTC 2009

	This is for anybody familiar with the "powerpoint" fmt docs/display,
	and the openoffice.org equivalent, Impress.  I have several dozen of files
	in several directories; each file (php or html--or can be xlated to xml)
	had one or two jpeg graphics.

	What I would like to experiment with is to see if having my Jottings
	philosophical stuff in slideshow presentation.  My personal philosophy grew
	out of a disagreement with the bureaucrats in my home state (Ohio) who
	asserted that my physical disabilities made it impossible for me to become
	a productive member of society.  Similar bureaucrats in California just a
	few years later took a different slant, and over the years and with plenty
	of sweating over my engineering and comp-sci classwork---and obviously,
	when I started earning my salt---, I noted down a bunch of short pieces
	that evolved into my "Jottings" thoughts.

	I've tried my best to de-nerd and de-geek this stuff, so that it
	encourages anyone and everyone who feels beat-up on by just-plain-life.
	Since this stuff has gone global, I've had lots of positive feedback.  At
	the same time, back-of-envelope math has convinced me that it wouldn't pay
	to publish this in ink+paper.  So in addition to my jottings.thought.org
	website, have a push-button slideshow might encourage more people to give
	this a read ... or a listen.  If I can find a volunteer to read the stuff.

	I've tried to get firefox3 to show the demo here, but I'm evidently too
	too far out of date.  If there is a way of having OOo-3.01 use the writing
	portion and turn the files into Impress mode, that would be ideal.
	O/wise, it might turn into a sharp learning curve.  In any case, there are
	two questions for this list.  The first, obviously, is subjective and is:
	would having my stuff in slideshow fmt gain me a wider readership?  The
	second is:  anybody out there willing to clue me in on this stuff?

	gary

    The 2.41a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php